“You’re never fully dressed without a smile,” says American writer, Martin Charnin.
It’s true. Your smile is the centerpiece of your facial expression and it conveys warmth, love and sincerity. No wonder 96% of people agree that having a great smile makes you more appealing to the opposite sex.
So what makes a good smile and what can we do to achieve that?
That’s the theme for the Hollywood Smile Makeover workshop I attended at Orchard Scotts Dental today. According to presenter, Dr Ronnie Yap, a perfect smile comprises of:
- Straight, evenly spaced teeth
- Healthy white teeth
- Top teeth should show without too much gums
- Top teeth should meet lower teeth smoothly
Treatments available for the perfect smile include:
- Teeth whitening where you can opt to have it done at the clinic (called the in-office whitening) or do it yourself with a take home whitening kit.
- Onlays where you replace your old mercury fillings with porcelain ones that are the same colour as your teeth. Mercury fillings may leak into your body and be toxic.
- Veneers which can whiten and lengthen damaged teeth.
- Invisalign, the new invisible braces that can straighten your teeth in nine to 15 months. The braces look like retainers, are very thin and you have to change them every two weeks till you achieve your desired result. Usually 18 to 30 sets are used and costs range from $6500 to $9000. Over one million cases have been done worldwide.
- Gum reshaping where lasers are used to even out gums.
- Full mouth rejuvenation, also called life-changing dentistry, and from the before and after photos of patients. The results were indeed amazing – all of them looked younger, fresher and happier!
Dr Yap is a dentist who is extremely well-versed in teeth aesthetics as well as holistic dentistry. The latter is where he treats body ailments like headaches, ear problems and neckaches by working on your teeth. According to Dr Yap, the way you bite or clench your teeth can result in these problems. Several treatments are available depending on your condition and what you prefer.
Today’s workshop started off with two participants selected to do a temporary smile makeover. First, molds of their teeth were taken, then these molds were used to create the temporary teeth veneers that were like dentures, placed over the real teeth. The result was astounding as you can see.
Jenny, the selected candidate looked immediately more radiant with her new smile and even her eyes were bigger as she did not have to strain so much to show her top teeth now!
There is so much more to teeth than just tools for mastication and Orchard Scotts Dental, with its team of friendly and highly knowledgeable doctors and staff, is the perfect place to go to get your perfect smile!